Question : Emails dissapearing from Outlook

I have an email from a certain person that dissapears once Microsoft Outllook is opened. If you view the email in OWA first the email is there but you cannont open or read it. Once Outlook is opened the email dissapears. If you look at the email in an Internet email account like yahoo, it has an attachment that is a .eml. If you look at the email in other email accounts  like my cable account (insightbb.com) it has a .dat attachment.

Answer : Emails dissapearing from Outlook

The following article describes somewhat of what you are seeing, but from the other direction:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/278061

Essentially somewhere in the encoding / decoding process this mail is not going through correctly.  It looks like it is going through both postini and through an ironport device before it gets to you.  It is also interesting that if you look for encoding in the headers you will see that one time it uses an 8 bit and another it uses a 7 bit.  Only other suggestion I can give is to have the sender try to switch to a plain text email format and / or have them send the email from a webmail interface and determine if it is the mail client or the email server that is the problem.

Your av software if you have server based software may also be set  to not allow .dat files through and it may be preventing access to the attachment.  If you can save the attachment, there are various winmail.dat viewers out there that you can download and run to try to determine what the contents of the file are.  Just go to google and search for winmail.dat viewer.

Good luck!
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us