Question : Is the SDK for .Net 3.0 required to run a regasm /codebase registration?

Title pretty much says it all.

Some background.  I work as a systems team leader for a software company.  I write our system requirements documentation and answer questions when upper management needs things explained.  I was approached by someone with VP after their name asking me questions about ,NET 3.0 SDK and what the impact would be on our clients if they had to install it on all their machines that ran our software for a new version coming out.  As I have started looking into it and asking questions from our developers it has only caused my headache today to get worse.  Before this morning my knowledge of .NET was mostly from an end user perspective, unfortunatley that has changed in the last 8 hours.  The development team that wrote the new .dlls doesn't seem to be able to answer the questions I have come up with during my research so I am hoping someone here can.  Here is what I recieved when I asked why they needed the SDK installed.
"We use regasm to register one of the .dlls for the document server.  The full registration line that we use is “regasm \mycompanyDocumentServerClient.dll /codebase”.  Per the developer, we must register using regasm, and must have the /codebase parameter on that registration."

Now I have sent many e-mails asking why they must use the /codebase, especially after reading here and other places the normal reasons people resort to using it.  I am working on them to use better code writing to get around it but in the mean time here is my questions.

Can you run Regasm with the normal .NET 3.0 install?
Can you run regasm with the /codebase function with the normal .NET 3.0 install?

I will probably have to put another question out as I am still waiting on answers to the reason they think they need it in the first place but could not find answers to these two questions during my searching today.

Any help is appreaciated.

Answer : Is the SDK for .Net 3.0 required to run a regasm /codebase registration?

no it is not required.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us