Question : Cannot Open Volume For Direct Access in Sched CHKDSK

Since I can't chkdsk while windows is running, it automatically schedules the chkdsk to be ran when the computer is restarted.  Then the chkdsk screen pops up when i reboot and says "cannot open volume for direct access" and says "chkdsk complete" or something like that.  I read somewhere that either cypkey or some sort of third party device is running while the computer is booting, therefore not enabling the chkdsk to run.  I also checked microsoft's webpage and they had a fix to the problem, but only for windows NT.  then i found some mention on the internet about "RC2" that fixed this error, but it said it was only released to a limited list of beta testers.  Is there anyway I can get past this error and get chkdsk to run?  
thanks.

Answer : Cannot Open Volume For Direct Access in Sched CHKDSK

Windows XP chkdsk needs to have exclusive access to your volumn to run properly. That's why its done usually during boot up, before windows system or other programs start accessing your volumn.

In your case, during this start up routine, some program has already started accessing your drive, denying the access that chkdsk needs.

You might want to try disabling some of your automatic startup services or programs to pinpoint the culprit. The most common ones would be virus scanners, or any programs that deals with the hard disk (monitoring, back up and recovery, etc..)

A quick check that can confirm this would be the problem, is that you can try booting into safe mode, as this would disable some services from loading, and perhaps enable the chkdsk to run.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us