Question : Any alternative to running an FTP server?

I am currently running an FTP site on IIS 6 however I would like to find out if there are any alternatives to FTP that I could use.  My FTP site has many accounts and each account must have it's own home.  Accounts should not be able to access other account data.  The site I have on IIS 6 right now works great however my biggest problem is with end users.  The site is designed to allow our staff to share files with clients and consultants.  The problem is the average end-user has no clue of how to use FTP and IE is a terrible FTP client.  For instance, I am running IE 6.0 SP2 and am able to connect perfectly fine.  A client is also running IE 6.0 SP2 (same build) and when they connect they get the main root folder listing all home directories on the site.  If they browse to the home folder for the account they connected with, they cannot download.

So, why are we sill using FTP??  For IT staff and power users, the technology is good and reliable however for regular clients it SUCKS because nobody knows how to use it correctly.  How hard is it to find a decent HTTP-based site (Java?) which allows users to have a gui for uploading and downloading content?  If I had the time, I would write such a thing however I am sure something out there already exists... any ideas?  My #1 concern is ease of use for the client.

Answer : Any alternative to running an FTP server?

You may want to look at JSCAPE Secure FTP Server

http://www.jscape.com/secureftpserver/

It has all the features you mentioned, plus a web based interface for transferring files meaning they don't have to install or learn a FTP client.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us