Question : Same form on different computers

Hello,

I built a simple application using DAO and launched it on 3 PCs. I have FE as an mde file sitting in 2 different workstations and both FE and BE sitting in the third workstation (peer-to-peer network).

I have a problem to open same form on two different PCs. The form starts fairly quickly on one PC, but if I launch it on the second PC it takes around 3-5 minutes to start. During that time nothing is being done on the first PC, the form stays still on the screen waiting for operator for input. I am not using any timer events.

My application is written on A2K, run under Windows XP. My form has 6 combo drop down boxes and the database is around 6000 records, 5 tables.

What could be the reason for that? Would be grateful for your help.

ggv

Answer : Same form on different computers

Greetings ggv!

This sounds like an issue of interconnectivity, not performance of access.
  The slowdown loading the form can be the combo boxes loading and the slow down is the slow access to the "server" machine
  The workstation acting as the file server should be your machine with the fastest Disk I/O
  You need to assure that there is the best possible connections between stations.
  Use UNC type links and not mapped drives to link the data across the P2P network.  mapped drives require periodic resolution, UNCs do not.
  Make sure that there are no background programs running on the slow machine.

regards
jack
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us