Question : HELP! Windows Server 2003 stuck in install loop!

Hi, Experts:

I'm having a problem with a Windows 2003 Server.  This morning, I installed an Iomega Peerless Drive and all of the software on the server.  After attempting a reboot, the server would just flash the blue screen of death for a second and then try to restart.  I attempted a repair of the installation using the Windows Server 2003 CD.  

It booted from the CD and went through the installation/repair screens okay.  However, after the first reboot into GUI mode, it came up and told me that it could not find files required for installation possibly due to CD being removed or unavailable.  I launched a command prompt using Shift+F10 and tried to switch to the CD (D:) drive; this drive was not found.

I had copied the i386 folder to the hard drive, so the next thing I did was to attempt a setup from the HD by typing: c:\i386\setupnt32.exe.  I selected "Upgrade" (keep in mind, I'm just trying to get it reboot normally without going into Installation mode), and waited for a while until it gave me errors and ended because I had to prep the Active Directory.  I ran the prep utility, but could not do this successfully.

Next, I rebooted the computer and launched the repair console.  I disabled any services related to the Iomega installation and rebooted hoping that it would not go back into Installation/Repair mode, but it did.  

I have now installed Windows Server 2003 onto a second hard drive within the same machine.  On this installation, the CD drive operate flawlessly.  I then backed up the files from the original drive.  My question(s) are:

1.  How can I bypass the installation loop on the original Windows installation?  Having disabled the offending drivers, I am now confident that it would boot normally if I could get rid of the failed repair/reinstall
2.  Why does the CD drive operate when booting from CD, but after Windows reboots, it doesn't recognize the CD Drive?
3.  How can I restore my backup to the second hard drive without transferring all of the problems I'm now encountering?  If I restore the entire drive to the second HD, won't I get the same installation loop problem?
4.  Assuming I cannot get out of the installation loop, can I restore all of my Active Directory and Terminal Services Licensing Server data without having to reactivate anything with Microsoft's Clearinghouse

Thanks in advance!

Answer : HELP! Windows Server 2003 stuck in install loop!

Should be here:

C:\Windows\system32\config

Run Regedt32>Select the Hkey Local Machine window>Select Registry from menu>Load Hive

Surf to the above location and give it a name (anything will do).  Find the runonce and runonceex keys to remove anything related to continuing setup.  Unload the hive.

This might allow you to repair now.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us