Question : RunApp issue across different Office versions

Network - Windows Server 2003
clients - Windows 2000 and Windows XP
Office Apps - Office 2000 and Office 2003

I have stumbled upon something I am having some trouble solving.

The scenario is that I have an Access 2000 mdb that is run on both Access 2000 and Access 2003 clients.  We acquired several Office 2003 Small Business licenses recently and on these machines, the older Access 2000 was installed for those that needed it.  There are many Access 2000 mdb that are used throughout the facility and all versions of Office/Access seem to have no issues whatever the install.

So, here is the deal...

On the few machines that have Office 2003 Small Business AND Office 2000 Access only installed; the RunApp macro that exists in a single mdb doesn't work.
If a user has only Office 2000 components installed (Access, Word) everything is fine.
If a user has only Office 2003 components installed (Access, Word) everything is fine.
If a user has mostly Office 2003 components (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc...) AND has Office 2000 components (Access) the RunApp macro in Access halts and refuses to work.

The error is the same:
Microsoft Access can't invoke the application using the RunApp action.

The application is winword.exe.

I can't install Access 2003 on the Office 2003 Small Business machines.  I only have Access 2000.
I am thinking I am stuck until I can get Access 2003 (Office 2003 Professional).  Was hoping there might be a quick fix download or addon or something...

Answer : RunApp issue across different Office versions

>>> If a user has mostly Office 2003 components (Word, Outlook, Excel, etc...) AND has Office 2000 components (Access)
>>> the RunApp macro in Access halts and refuses to work

That's the key to your problem.  Microsoft's official stance is that it does not support multiple-version installs of Office, regardless of how you mix-n-match.  That being the case, your solution is to either obtain Access 2003 for your problem systems, or revert them to Office 2000.

Realistically, installing two separate versions of Access is going to cause problems, no ifs, ands, or buts.  Installing from oldest to newest decreases the number of issues you will have, but there will still be plenty to go around.  Mixing versions within the Office suite itself (e.g., Word 2000 w/ Access 2003) is absolutely going to drive you insane, since Office apps commonly share DLLs, and their associated routines.  In that scenario, you may have Word 2000 attempting to use a routine from Office2003 and failing, or even worse, Access 2003 losing functionality because the Office 2000 file does not offer it.  Again, Microsoft's public statement says they program for backwards compatibility, but the reality of installing in the manner is that SOMETHING is not going to work as advertised.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us