Question : Displaying list data in a Microsoft Report Viewer control

I'm using Visual Studio 2008 with Visual Basic .Net web forms to display a local report.  I am not using SSRS.  I am not using Crystal Reports but rather the Microsoft Report Viewer.

I have a series of business data objects which source their data from an xml file.  I am attempting to use these objects to display this data in a report.

It seems to work fine if I want to display data at the top level of the hierarchy of data objects, it also works if I want to display an individual record from one of the child collections ie. =Fields!MyCollection.Value(2)

However, I can't figure out how to populate a graph/chart or table with list data based on the same collections...
ie: =Fields!MyCollection.Value

I have attempted to use basic arrays for the collections and also generic collection objects to no avail.

When attempting to populate a graph no data populates it.  When I attempt to populate a table it simply displays the text "#Error"

I have also attempted to use a datatable containing the required data but the report won't allow me to drag the data table property from my datasource onto the report for some reason.  I can't see how I could use a datatabe as my source object.

See code snipet for how I am setting up the report data.  A couple of things in this method might look strange:
1) I am destroying and replacing the dataview control on the form because the form.  The form is set up so the user can choose a report from a treeview from a left pane and it displays in the right pane.  There seems to be a bug in the report viewer where it will only display the first report selected.  This is my attempt at a work-around.

2) Even though my potentialproperty object is a singular object, I am loading it into a collection so that the object I am parsing implements iEnumerable.  Not sure if this is the best way of doing things but it seems to work.

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Code Snippet:
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
11:
12:
13:
14:
15:
16:
17:
18:
19:
20:
21:
22:
23:
24:
25:
26:
27:
Private Sub LoadReport(ByVal strReportPath As String)
        Dim rpv As Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportViewer

rpv = New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportViewer()

rpv.ProcessingMode = Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ProcessingMode.Local

rpv.LocalReport.ReportPath = strReportPath

Dim col As Collection = New Collection
        col.Add(mReportData)

rpv.LocalReport.DataSources.Add(New Microsoft.Reporting.WinForms.ReportDataSource("DataLayer_PotentialProperty", col))

rpv.RefreshReport()

scSplitter.Panel2.Controls.Add(rpv)

If Not rvReportViewer Is Nothing Then
            scSplitter.Panel2.Controls.Remove(rvReportViewer)
            rvReportViewer = Nothing
        End If

rvReportViewer = rpv

rvReportViewer.RefreshReport()
    End Sub

Answer : Displaying list data in a Microsoft Report Viewer control

I've just figured out how to create a strongly written dataset which enables me to use a dataset to acheive what I want to achieve here.  It isn't ideal but it's a solution.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us