Question : Combine tables for query

I have two tables that I use for inventory. One table is for general equipment and the other table is for computers/laptops only. They are different tables because the data I want to capture from each type is different.

Currently I have two different queries, one for each table, that I use to check equipment in and out of inventory. The queries display as datasheet view on a form.

When a use enters the piece of equipments ID (primary key), the serial number, make and model automatically appear OR if they are checking in/out a computer, the device name automatically appears.

I want to combine this process into the same form so that it doesn't matter if they are checking out equipment or computers, they can use the same form. How can I do this?

Part of the problem is that because there are two different tables, the equipment IDs repeat in each table. So the ID 1 in the equipment table might be for a projector, while the ID 1 in the computer table might be for a laptop.

I could change the IDs so that there would be an identifying prefix like, equipment inventory would be 01-1 and the computer inventory could be 02-1. But even so, how would I combine these into the same query for checking equipment in and out?

Any other ideas?

Answer : Combine tables for query

Ideally, you would have one table ... with a Type field (Equip or Computers) and the fields you need ... unless there are a ton of fields for each Type, which are mostly different.  And then you would have just one ID (auto number?).  Seems this would simply the scenario ...

mx
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us