Question : issue with Global Catalog

I've got an issue with a server running w2k3,  I had 1 dedicated server and 2 virtualized servers.  The Virtual Host crashed and I lost the two virtualized machines.  The problem is that the Dedicated server wasn't fully a DC with GC.  It appears that I've got the server up and running (mostly), the issue is that it won't advertize that it's a GC and it never creates the SYSVOL share.  I ran DCDiag and the output is attached.  In the Event viewer in the section for "File Replication Service" I'm getting the following warning on startup:

"File Replication Service is scanning the data in the system volume. Computer SERVER cannot become a domain controller until this process is complete. The system volume will then be shared as SYSVOL.

To check for the SYSVOL share, at the command prompt, type:
net share

When File Replication Service completes the scanning process, the SYSVOL share will appear.

The initialization of the system volume can take some time. The time is dependent on the amount of data in the system volume.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

and in the "Directory Service" Log I get the following Error:

"Active Directory was unable to establish a connection with the global catalog.

Additional Data
Error value:
1355 The specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.
Internal ID:
3200cf3 "

Active Directory Users and Computers, Sites and Services, and Domains and Trusts all are working on this server and I can edit the items.  But the Group Policy Managment Console can't find a DC to connect to.
Any ideas on how to fix this?

Answer : issue with Global Catalog

Hello,

I think that the DC is trying to do Sync with other DCs. I would also like to see the status of the KDC (Kerberos Key Distribution center), Netlogon, DFS services.
PLease see if you have a "pre-existing" folder under sysvol. If yes, please take a backup of complete Sysvol folder, cope the contents of the "pre-existing" folder and paste under sysvol (original location).

Then follow this article to make this DC authoritative foe sysvol replica set :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315457

This should fix your Sysvol issue. Once you bring back the virtual machines, make them non-authoritative for sysvol (follow same article).

Once you do this, open dssite.msc (Active Directory Sites and Services). Browse to the DC, expand it and right click on the NTDS Settings.  Check the option that says Global Catalogue. See if it does that and you stop recieving GC errors.

Regards,

Arun,

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us