Question : Problems with screeen resolution and external monitor on Windows Vista

I have an HP Pavillion dv6500 laptop with an HP Quickdock port replicator.  An envision 1280x1024 monitor is connected to the port replicator via a regular 15-pin connector.  The laptop is running Windows Vista.

I can get the external monitor resolution set to the correct resolution (1280x1024) until I disconnect the laptop from the Quickdock.  When I reconnect the Quickdock, the laptop always reverts to its native resolution (1280x800) which the external monitor can't support.  I have tried all the sequences I can think of (power completely down, sleep only, rebooting after the laptop is reconnected) but I cannot seem to find a method to 1) reconnect the laptop to the Quickdock, and 2) have the laptop come up with the correct 1280x1024 monitor signal?

Is there a way to tell Vista to either keep its setting or correctly recognize the monitor?

Thanks.

Answer : Problems with screeen resolution and external monitor on Windows Vista

Monitors are not hot-dock hot-swap devices.
You should not be connecting to an energized monitor be it through a dock or not.

When a monitor starts up or 'is asked' by an operating system it sends a code (from a firmware chip) that identifies itself to the operating system.
The OS reads the code and then loads the correct driver.

Apparently with your dock and laptop:  
- When you disconnect, the laptop reverts to the LCD driver and is happy.
(Doesn't 'ask' again.)
- When you start-up the laptop loads the LCD driver and is happy.
(Doesn't 'ask' again.)
It's also possible the dock's firmware doesn't report to the laptop that a monitor is attached unless it's asked by the OS.  

Thus, you have to TELL Vista to look and see if another monitor is present.
-
If you are lucky HP will come out with an updated driver (or dock firmware) and that situation will be fixed.

-
Another thought. there is generally a BIOS setting for 'LCD only', 'external monitor only', or 'both' that if changed from 'LCD only' to 'both' would que Windows to check for other monitors present when it starts up.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us