Question : Can't read CDs through Windows XP explorer

Windows XP explorer doesn't autoplay my CDs when I stick them in my DVD/CD drive - it does spin them around, so it knows something is in there.  It says there are 0 bytes in Total Size and 0 bytes in Free Space.  

Itunes no longer displays my CD drive.

Also, my external DVD drive is not reading. But, just like my internal drive, when I put something in the drive spins the disk. However then, the Total Size and Free Space stay blank and when I click on it, it tells me that it is in an incompatible format with Windows.

If I go into Sony Sound Forge, I can extract the audio files from an audio CD placed in either drive - so the drives are working. Also, from iTunes I can burn a disk onto my internal drive, no problem.

I called Dell support and they ran me through their troubleshooting protocol which yielded nothing.

I have uninstalled the drivers and let Windows reinstall them. I have gone into the registry to set at the autoplay.

When I go into the properties of the CD drive and try to configure the autoplay, nothing sticks. It is set to "prompt me each time to choose an action" for all choices. I try setting it to something else and click apply. There is a quiet moment and a little noise as if it is saving the selection, but when I go back to review my setting, it is back to "prompt me..."

Any ideas? Guidance on how to troubleshoot?

Answer : Can't read CDs through Windows XP explorer

Here it is again :o)
Try a Repair Install of XP.
If that doesn't work, a clean installation.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us