Question : Need to remove ODBC Data Source - dBASE files - getting error.

I am installing a 3rd party application for a client that needs the Microsoft FoxPro VFP Driver installed. I installed this without issue.

Another requirement is that you can not have any User Data Sources (under the User DSN tab in ODBC Data Source Administrator) named dBASE Files.When I click on this and click remove, I get the following error:

The setup routines for Microsoft Access dBASE Driver ODBC driver could not be found. Please reinstall the driver.

When I click OK, it then says: Errors Found: Component not found in the registry

I looked in the registry editor and do not see the dBASE driver listed. I do not need this data source, but can not remove it entirely either. I've done a lot of research and can not find an answer specific to this.

Any help would be appreciated.

This is for a server running Windows Server 2008, 64 bit. The users run the required app through Terminal Services. Miscrosoft Acces is not installed, Microsoft Office Small Business is installed

Thanks,
Mike

Answer : Need to remove ODBC Data Source - dBASE files - getting error.

First of all, application having such stupid requirements is not good application.
Second, VFP ODBC driver is 32 bit software and it cannot cooperate with 64 bit software.

But it is still possible to use 32 bit ODBC drivers under 64 OS to work with other 32 bit software. It is just installed in a separate folder -  c:\windows\syswow64\  and the ODBC administrator is  odbcad32.exe

So, did you use this 32 bit administrator? Probably yes.

DSN definition is just a Registry entry and you have to look for DSN name "dBASE Files" in registry. If you see "dBASE Files" DSN in ODBC administrator then you have to find it in registry. It should occur several times. If you delete all these "dBASE Files" occurences from registry then it should disappear from DSN list.

The dBase driver itself is MS Access driver in fact and it should remain installed after DSN deletion. If you decide to reinstall it then you may find it packed together with MS Office.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us