Question : Will Microsoft Great Plains 7.5 run on Windows 7?

I tried installing GP 7.5 on Windows 7 and hit error messages.  Can anyone tell me if 7.5 will run on Windows 7?

Thanks.

Answer : Will Microsoft Great Plains 7.5 run on Windows 7?

Hi,

I disagree with the previous posts.

The system requirements for GP 7.5 and 8 were clearly written prior to the release of Windows 7, so of course Windows 7 is not going to be listed on old system requirements documents.  

Can you describe the errors you are getting or provide screen shots?

Without knowing the specific errors, here are some recommendations:

1) Make sure you are logged on to the Win 7 workstation as a local Administrator.  To launch the setup routine, right mouse click on the setup file and choose Run As Administrator.  This resolves alot of installation issues on Windows 7.

2) Install GP in a directory outside of Program Files, such as C:\GP75.  This is one way to try and avoid some of the tighter security and UAC controls that restrict access to the program files directory.

3) If the installation still gives you errors or fails, Windows 7 sometimes asks you afterwards if the installation was successful, and gives you the option to try using "Recommended Settings".  I have found the recommended settings option will often properly install an app that previously failed.

4) If all else fails, disable User Account Control on the machine prior to installation.  After installation, you can try re-enabling UAC and see if you get any errors or problems.

Let me know if those help.

Aside from that, you should really look at upgrading to a supported version of GP.  There have been tremendous changes and updates made in GP since version 7.5, so there should be some new functionality that would be valuable to your company.

Thanks,

Steve Endow
Dynamics GP Certified Trainer
Dynamics GP Certified Professional

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us