Question : Extracting data from AS400 into text format -- Date

How to write scripts such that the data from AS400 (IBM) can be extracted into text format or MS Access ? (related question)

I have the ODBC connection and initially i used to export from As400 to excel (.xls and .csv) but there is one problem :
my date (that is the system current date) is not captured in the file while the rest of the data remains readable.
my date shows as " ðóaòõaðø " which is unreadable.

I tried formatting in excel and access but failed. seems like they do not recognised Current Date  (system date that runs the query for those who are not familiar with AS400.)

Any idea ? Thanks.

Answer : Extracting data from AS400 into text format -- Date

silly question at this time, but I usually ask this when my users are having problems. What version of Access are you running (2000, XP, 2003, 2007)?

How are you linking to the table in Access? (File, Get External Data, Link Tables, Files of Type = ODBC Database, Machine-Data Source, the AS400 User Library, the Library.FileName/Table, Click OK on Select Unique Field. <--- Is this how your are linking?

You should not be able to Change/Add/Delete ANY RECORDS through ODBC. If you are able to, then you bigger problems. You are bypassing AS400 Security and making changes to tables OUTSIDE the AS400.
Very, very dangerous.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us