Question : SQL server is not starting up

Hi Experts
 I have MS Sql server running in my Windows 2000 Server.
 Last evening my server went off due to a power failure and when i restarted, everything is working except
my SQL server. My Sql server is not at all starting and in the event viewer i am getting a message "17052 :
SQL Server evaluation period has expired." I am not using an evaluation version. Can anybody pls give a solution
regs
raj

Answer : SQL server is not starting up

Anthony & Brett
Hold your fire - I'm on your side! ;-)
We are arguing semantic now:
1. I’ve never suggested installing service pack on the non-run-able SQL. All I did is asked Raj about his current SP level.
2. I always install SP while SQL is down – all the services are stopped.  It is not necessary but I do it to keep the users out and take a good backup
3. SQL server agent is dependent of  SQL server if they are on the same machine. I run SQL server agent on Win98, which does not support SQL server (and does not have SQL server installed).

Raj
My leading questions were an attempt to fine-tune the cause of the failure. Event ID: 17052- to my limited knowledge- is a catch all message for SQL cannot come up. Like Brett said if you can start the agent you can look at the SQL log for more messages.

If you have another SQL server machine (Development, QA, backup…) - attach your databases to it, run integrity check to make sure the power failure did not cause data corruption and change users connection to the new server – at least until you resolve the “SQL Server evaluation period has expired” issue.

You can also try to re-install SQL.. It takes 20-30 minutes. If it installed smoothly reconnect the databases. In any case you should contact MS to clear the license issue (you do not want to have the same problem 120 days from now).

And please clean up your mess. Some of your posts are over 2 years old.
Dan
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us