Question : Direct Push not receiving unread emails

I have setup direct push for a client and am having issues with mobile devices receiving unread emails. All read email comes through fine and sending email from the device is also fine. If I send an email to the account, jump onto outlook and read it, it will THEN display on the mobile device.

My setup is:

Cisco 877 router with port 443 pointing straight to the exchange server (server 2003) which has IIS setup on it. I did have an external ISA server (on a separate subnet) that direct port 443 from the cisco 877 to the exchange server, but I have since removed this from the whole setup to see if it made a difference (which it didn't).

I have a geotrust public certificate.

There is an internal ISA server (2006) which is setup as a proxy server and has GFI web monitor on it. As far as I can tell it shouldn't affect Direct Push.

I have a similar setup for a few other clients (minus the internal proxy server) and they have no issues.

I have tested this on a few mobile devices: iPhone seems to work fine. Windows mobile has the issue. Nokia has the issue.

Answer : Direct Push not receiving unread emails

Well I uninstalled the antivirus and that ended up causing more troubles (exchange doesnt like not having antivirus and the information store service wouldnt start because of it). So I reinstalled the antivirus and made the 2 registry key changes:

You might want to enable Pro Active Scanning and Back ground scanning on the mailbox server by looking at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSExchangeIS\VirusScan reg key.
You will have to change the values for "BackgroundScanning" and "ProactiveScanning" to 1 and restart the Information store service.

And low and behold everything started working. My iPhone started receiving email (unread ones as well!) and when I did a manual sync on my Windows Mobile alll the email came through. So I will continue testing it for the rest of today and tomorrow to ensure it is working correctly.

I guess one other question, a bit off topic: can windows mobile receive emails instantly via push or is it only every 8 minutes?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us