Question : Connecting to a sql database via odbc

I need help connecting to a sharepoint sql server database via odbc.
It's been a long time since I have done this; I thought I had all the necessary info but I can not connect.
There is a chance that I have been given the wrong information, I just want to run it by the experts first.

I am connecting to the server via Cisco VPN, and use this connection for other purposes with no issues. I have been provided the server IP, and the sharepoint database name (xxxxx-sharepoint-content). I can use Remote Deskop Connection to get to the server with the IP I have been provided. Via Remote Desktop, I can see that I have been added as a user to the database.

I created a data source in my system DSN, with the following settings:
Name: Sharepoint
Descrip: Doesn't matter, right?
Server: IP address

Regarding authentication, I have tried both "With Windows NT authentication and "With SQL Server authentication."
When I selected "Login with SQL Server authentication using a login ID entered by the user," I get: "Connection failed, SQL state 28000, error 18452, Login failed." When I tried Windows NT authentication, I get the same errors but the message reads: "Login failed for user 'null'. Not a trusted SQL Server Connection."
I checked the box: "Connected to SQL server to obtain default settings."
and entered my username and password.
"Client Configuration" Settings:
The Named Pipes vs. TCP/IP I'm not too sure about, but I tried both, and other googling seems to indicate TCP/IP is the way to go, but I'm not too sure what ther Server Alias, name, and port number should be.      

Anyone have any ideas?

Answer : Connecting to a sql database via odbc

This can be many problem but first, you not only need to be set as a database user but this user must also be associated with the right login. You'll find this information in your Enterprise Manager in the section Security for the server.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us