Question : error loading lmouse.vxd reinstall windows

I am having difficulty getting a compaq 5070 running win98 to boot properly into normal mode.  Unpon startup it indicates that a file is missing from my win.ini and to reinstall it.  Then it stops at error loading lmouse.vxd press any key to continue and the majority of the time it will say error laing lmouse.vxd reinstall windows.  I have booted to safe mode, run msconfig and tried to restart with several combinations of not loading win.ini, system,ini and startup group.  I still can't get past the error message.  I have look through my system.ini for any reference to lmouse.vxd but there is none.  I have run system file checker and also scanreg and restored several backed up files to no avail.  I have reinstalled windows over the existing directory and still get the lmouse.vxd error on the first windows restart before the install is actually completed.  I am trying to avoid doing a system restore from the included cds as well as loss any data files as well as all the applications currently installed.  Possible solutions I haven't tried?

Answer : error loading lmouse.vxd reinstall windows

A. Cleaning and preventative maintenance

1. Take as much stuff as you can from running in systray. Light off each app and disable them from running in systray.

2. Run msconfig and take checkmarks out of all you don't need running in start-up. Experiment with different apps etc. to see how they affect your free resources.

3. Click on control-alt-delete and highlight an item and end task then look at system resources and it will give you an idea on how much an application is robbing from your resources.

Note: You can right-click my computer and go to properties and click on the performance tab and see what your free system resources are and check as you eliminate some items to see how you are doing!

4. Search your "C" drive for *.tmp, *.~ and *.chk and delete them. You can do this from start\find\files (make sure you have your “C” drive set to be searched)

5. If you are running any Norton stuff (it likes to use resources!) be careful, a very powerful program. (You may want to disable it for this troubleshooting and enable after you clear up your problem or it may be the problem if you are having resource problems).

6. Clear your browser cache!

7. Compact your e-mail folders and empty your deleted folder and send folder.

8. Empty the recycle bin!

9. IMPORTANT! If you see findfast when you hit control-alt-delete then highlight it and end task and get rid of the program per this url:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q158/7/05.asp

Note: It is installed by Microsoft products (Office etc>) and was a bad dream from Microsoft that will cause major resource problems.

9. Run scandisk and defrag!

B. Utilities

1. Run hwinfo /ui (don't forget the space between the o and the /) and this will identify any device or driver problems in red text.

2. IMPORTANT! Do not run this unless you have too! Run SFC (system file checker) be careful and back up and files you may want to restore! This utility can replace files that will cause you to have to reinstall some applications. Caution this file needs to run with care because you may have to load some applications again if you replace certain files.

C. Recommendations:

1. Update your IE5 to either 5.01 or 5.5 if you use these. Note: Reports of bugs in 5.5 are             being reported by some.

2. Increasing Your System Performance:
If you have a little extra memory to spare, here's one trick that really helps speed Windows 95\98 along. Changing your File System Performance from Desktop Computer to Network Server (even if you're not on a network) will basically increase the size of the cache that that the operating system uses. Here's how: Right click on "MY COMPUTER" and select "PROPERTIES". Then click on the "PERFORMANCE" tab near the top of the dialog box, and the "FILE SYSTEM" button at the bottom. Change from "DESKTOP COMPUTER" to "NETWORK SERVER", click on "OK", and "OK" again. The changes will take effect the next time you reboot your computer.

Windows 98 Annoyances

http://www.annoyances.org/win98/

System Resources Decrease After Starting and Quitting a Program

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q185/8/32.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0

Computer Speed and Performance Decreases

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q259/1/61.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=gn&FR=0
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us