Question : Default.aspx doesn't open unless specifically typed in, can't export, can't manage permissions.

Experts,

I have a large site collection running on WSS 3.0 and only with a few sub sites I'm getting this error.

When someone tries to go to the site without typing the default.aspx, it will display error 500 "page cannot be displayed".

I can't export the site, it gets about half-way then reports this error:

FatalError: There is no row at position 0.
   at System.Data.RBTree`1.GetNodeByIndex(Int32 userIndex)
   at System.Data.RBTree`1.get_Item(Int32 index)
   at System.Data.DataRowCollection.get_Item(Int32 index)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ObjectHelper.RetrieveDataFromDatabase(ExportObject exportObject)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.FolderObjectHelper.RetrieveData(ExportObject exportObject)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ExportObjectManager.GetObjectData(ExportObject exportObject)
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ExportObjectManager.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.ExportObjectManager.ExportObjectEnumerator.MoveNext()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPExport.SerializeObjects()
   at Microsoft.SharePoint.Deployment.SPExport.Run()

Also one of the sites is inheriting its permissions from a parent site, so when someone goes in and tries to change the permissions and stop inheriting this error is displayed: "Cannot complete this action."

Please help!

Answer : Default.aspx doesn't open unless specifically typed in, can't export, can't manage permissions.

I had a similar problem before. The problem as I had was directly related to improper handling of the SharePoint default site and/or one or more components of the default site, or the site containing the SharePoint site/portal. Did you make any changes recently? Is this a new site or is it an existing one that broke? I would assume regardless it worked 100% at one point and time yes? The reason I ask is because to rule out a problem with the configuration you could do two things which are restore the SQL databases that house the SharePoint site, which is likely imo to not resolve your issue. This does however rule out any problem with SharePoint and thus proves a problem with IIS. Assuming you have backups scheduled of your IIS site you can do one of two things. Make a manual backup and restore IIS to an earlier time (assuming your IIS doesn't change often) or if you made a backup of the configuration for the site that houses the SharePoint site and restore it, of course after making a backup of your current setup.

I can't stress enough this method of troubleshooting is absolutely the most straight forward but if you do not make a backup you stand to cause huge problems for yourself should you run into problems. If you are unwilling to make backups or restore the only other thing I can tell you is it is likely a problem with the configuration of the site that houses this SharePoint site. IIS is rather funny with configuration problems. What I mean is it works 100% but you can change something that shouldn't cause problems and it does. Having said that troubleshooting issues with IIS site configurations is a bit frustrating. Thats why I make backups before and after changes are made so that I have a sort of version control available to me. I can go back and forward one or more steps at a time. If you are already not doing this, I suggest you come up with a written process that includes this for yourself and anyone else who may manage you IIS sites.

Moving forward on your permission issue its sounds like this maybe relating to the use of virtual sites and directories? How is IIS configured?
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us