Question : Outlook returning search results out of order

I have an unusual problem with Outlook and Exchange that is frustrating one of my pickier clients.

The user is running Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2003 on SBS in non-cached mode.  When he executes a search, the results don't come back in chronological order--messages from weeks ago will pop up first, and then earlier and later messages are filled in around those as the search progresses.  He is absolutely adamant that the search must return the most recent messages first, and frankly it seems like it should operate like this anyway.

The server was installed by a different consulting firm about three weeks ago and I believe the Exchange database was ported from an older server.  He claims this problem started after the migration.

I am at a loss for what to do here.  I am going to try an offline defrag on the chance that it may re-order the data, but that's a shot in the dark.  Anyone have any idea how to solve this for sure?

Answer : Outlook returning search results out of order

Well, the thing is that as I first stated, I've never seen Outlook Advanced Search return results in order, but of course the resulting display is in order once all records are found.

Remember too, if you're using Cached Exchange Mode you can delete the .ost file on the workstation to allow Outlook to rebuild it, which might help a bit.

Overall though, using Windows Desktop Search will return results instantly without any waiting... so even if they do come in out of order, it won't be noticable.  :-)

Jeff
TechSoEasy
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us