Question : Can't exit design mode because control can not be created

I have a document with VBA controls in it that I created in MS Word 2003.  After migrating to MS Word 2007, I get the message that "Can't exit design mode because control 'lblEmaillist' can not be created".

After reading through the various forums here and on microsoft.com it seems to be a known problem.  I looked at these articles but am still having a bit of trouble...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/212559 refers to the same problem in word 2000 but after following the directions I still am getting the problem.

The problem does not occur when I open the document in MS Word 2007 or MS Word 2003.  The problem only occurs when I open click on the link from IE.

I've set up the location as a trusted location in Office 2007 settings so that should not be an issue.

The document in question is being saved in the word 97-2003 format due to the fact that some people here have not upgraded to office 2007.  I tried saving it as a .docm for office 2007 but the error message still came up.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Answer : Can't exit design mode because control can not be created

I can't set it as a RTF because the VBA active X content will be lost.  The point of the document's VBA was to provide immediate feedback to the user if invalid data was entered or the document was sent with missing data.  The document also had code to utilize the user's current email client to send out the test request.

I have since found that php is not and will not be installed on that server.

Additionally, the browser window is not able to instance objects.

My solution for this was to write a second VBA word doc that would open in IE.  The secondary doc has shell commands to check what version of MS office the user has and then open my Active X document using their version of winword.

It is not very elegant but it does work.

If anyone else has any other idea that would be more seamless I would be open to them.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us