Question : Can't connect to SQL server 2008 (error 40 could not open a connection to the SQL Server)

hello all,

I'm running into this very strange error: I have two servers. both have windows server 2008. They both have SQL server 2008 installed.

I can connect to one of the servers just fine. but I can't connect to the other one.

what I've done so far: SQL browser is running. Also I've enabled TCP/IP in the sql server configuration manager, also I've verified that the server is allowed to recevie incoming connections. I have also even compeltely disabled the Windows server firewall. Below is the message i keep getting.

TITLE: Connect to Server
------------------------------

Cannot connect to SRV1.

------------------------------
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server) (Microsoft SQL Server, Error: 1326)

For help, click: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink?ProdName=Microsoft+SQL+Server&EvtSrc=MSSQLServer&EvtID=1326&LinkId=20476

Any help would be awesome!
Thanks
CPG

Answer : Can't connect to SQL server 2008 (error 40 could not open a connection to the SQL Server)

I know these are all obvious, but have you checked these:
1.  Is this a default instance of SQL (in which case your "Server Name" above is correct), or is this a named instance?
2.  Are you sure the port is 1434?  Use the SQL Server Config Manager (SQL Native Client, Client Protocols, TCI/IP, Default Port) to verify.
3.  Also try without any port number specified.
4.  Are you sure the username and password are correct?  Try using these credentials in SSMS to verify they work.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us