Question : BESR VHD Error

I have a physical server running Win 2k3 Server x86.  I have BESR 8.5 installed and fully patched.  BESR creates backups just fine.  When I try to convert the backup to a VHD it processes for a few seconds, then a red error box appears in the lower right hand corner.  I have the exact same server (hardware wise) with Win2k3 Server x64 and BESR 8.5 fully patched and the VHD conversion works just fine.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled BESR - no change.  I have copied the backup to the server that works and tried to do the VHD - doesn't work.  I attempted to browse the backup to ensure it's not corrupt - I can browse it just fine.  I have tried numerous backups - none of them will convert to VHD.  The x86 is running terminal services, Office 07, and QuickBooks Enterprise.  This is a real pain as I am trying to change both of these servers to virtual on Hyper V.  The x64 server converts just fine, but the other one won't.

Answer : BESR VHD Error

I normally use vmware but when I have issues I create a brand new virtual machine, connect an ISO of BESR 8.5 and restore just like I'm restoring to physical hardware by mapping to a network share where the images are.  The reason I use VMWare with BESR is that the converter is free and knows BESR images natively.  I've had issues convertering using Symantec converter because it converts just the disk and doesn't create virtual machine startup file.  

Try to restore using the ISO in a VM and let me know how it goes, I've done quite a bit of BESR installs (few hundred) maybe I can find a solution for you

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us