Question : How can I Link Access 2003 to SQL 2005 Express through an ODBC when everything is on one PC?

I need to create an Access 2003 front-end for a SQL 2005 Express back-end.  Doing it through the DSN will not allow me to create queries and views because the SQL is too new for the Access.  I think if I use an ODBC I can create both the Access queries and the SQL views, am I right?  Because this is all on one hard drive I am having a hard time getting the ODBC to work.  Any suggestions?  The SQL back-end is updated daily through an outside server.
If it helps, I can move the front-end to another drive (actually, I would like to).

Answer : How can I Link Access 2003 to SQL 2005 Express through an ODBC when everything is on one PC?

Hi,

it doesn't make any difference if you attach a table with a DSN definition in Windows (ODBC) or with a DSNless method like explained here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892490

Both are ODBC methods as you can see if you hover the mouse over an attached table in the navigation, the connection string always starts with "ODBC;". You can use other than the ODBC driver if you use the DSNless method like SQL Server Native Client (maybe must be installed, but should be part of SQL Server Express if you have the SQL Server Management Studio installed).

Creating Access queries is no problem but you can't create SQL Server views if Access is not used as Access project - moreover the user which connects to the server must have the needed rights.

But normally you create SQL objects very much better in SQL Server Management Studio ONCE, and when the Access application is delivered you only USE the views. You should never create views "on the fly" in the application, this would destroy the advantages of the SQL Server which creates an execution plan when you save the view. If you need parameters, you should create Stored Procedures instead.

Cheers,

Christian
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us