Question : Using an Access 2007 ADP does not support  SQL Express 2008 for table design - Better to use an ACCDB?

I am experimenting with Access 2007 as a potential replacement for Visual FoxPro.  I created an Access 2007 ADP to connect to a database on a (local)\SQLEXPRESS using SQL Express 2008.

I can see all of the tables without problem, however, when I go to the table design I get the following message:

"You have connected to a version of SQL Server that Microsoft Office Access does not support.  For this reason, you might encounter problems."

However, the ADP does appear to give you items such as linked data sheets.  

I have also noticed that the form designed in ADP projects don't offer any support for bound controls.  

Is it then better to develop the interface as a standard ACCDB with unbound controls on data entry forms with ADO?

Are there other COTS (Commercial Off the Shelf Software) products that offer a better solution than Access to do rapid prototypes?  

For all the fuss, should we simply by-pass Access altogether and go straight to .net?

Answer : Using an Access 2007 ADP does not support  SQL Express 2008 for table design - Better to use an ACCDB?

This simply means that you cannot alter tables using the visual interface. You can use Management Studio for this, of course (and I prefer that, actually).

ADP projects do support bound controls.

That said, MS recommends that you use linked tables instead of ADPs. While you can still create an ADP in 2007, support is being removed for them and I'd urge you to consider linked tables.

.NET is certainly an option, but if you do that you should consider SQL Server as your data store.

For my money and time, I don't think you can find a better RAD tool than ACcess ... but then I'm biased somewhat
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us