Question : Exchange 2003 Likely Corruption help

Hello,

Exchange server 2003 enterprise.  When running NT backup it bombs in the same spot every time.  I am guessing that this is because it is touching the log files and one is damaged.

Tonight I plan to bring the mail store off line and work on it.

I will be using mostly this article as my guide.
http://msexchangeguru.com/2009/07/12/exchange-database-recovery-using-eseutil-commands/

couple of questions....
Step 2 says: " 2. If the state is in clean shutdown, move all the log files from the Transaction logs folder location and then mount the stores."  

I have LOADS of log files that have piled up as this has been failing for awhile. if it is in a clean state and I move my log files as it suggests and mount the database, will i lose any data???  Guess i'm confused about how the log files work here.   I thought that changes weren't applied to the database until after the log files are removed by completing a backup?

Another question:  If I bring this database down and make a flat file backup.  Because of the my symptoms, is it possible I won't be able to remount it?    the edb/stm are 200 gigs total and a flat backup on the network will take awhile but not too long.  If the database won't remount after i do a flat backup, that won't be a good thing.  As I will need to do the backup one night and any repair the next.

Thanks,

also any other insite would be great!!!

Answer : Exchange 2003 Likely Corruption help

The log files hold mail that's already in, or going to, the .EDB.  Presuming you're missing any mail now, you won't miss any mail when you move them logs.  Or at least no more mail than you'd miss by having a corrupt log file to begin with.

I'm not advocating deleting the logs.  Just move them somewhere.  If things to south, pull them back and punt.

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us