Question : SBS2008 Standard - RDS - Virtual Desktops

This is a small accounting office with 10 staff.

There's a Dell PowerEdge T300 server running SBS 2008 standard. 5 of the staff work from home more often than not. Currently, they access the server remotely using VPN and/or RD. As the accounts package they use (Sage 50) has rather large data files and bandwidth for a couple of staff isn't very good, VPN often causes problems. For this reason the staff prefer RD connections. Unfortunately this means we have to keep 5 PCs running in the office for them to work.

There is an old Dell PowerEdge 2900 in the office that not currently being used. It has a dual core Zeon 1.86GHz with 3GB RAM with 3x100GB RAID5 (Perc) drives.

I was wondering if this server would be suitable to install Windows Server 2008 RDS and have it run 5 virtual desktops strictly for the *remote users* (in effect replacing the 5 machines we currently use for remote desktop purposes).

I've looked though http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/en/us/rds-product-home.aspx and think I've got to grips with most things but I was wondering if anyone could clarify some things for me.

a) can these virtual desktops be accessed remotely using the standard  Remote Desktop method or something equally strightforward?

b) Would it be more appropriate/cheaper to upgrade SBS 2008SBS Standard to Premium or just buy Win Server 2008 on it's own.

c) On top of the Win Server 2008, I would need to get RDS services and licenses for 5 Virtual Desktop clients - Is there anything else?

d) Assuming 5 VDs, I realise a better processor, more RAM would be advisable. What would you say would be the minimum to go for?

e) Can we run Windows 7 VDs? Is the a Win7 version of Windows Vista Enterprise Centralized Desktop and is it strictly nessesary? Could we use conventional Vista/Windows 7 licences on the VDs?

f) Can I get trials for all the stuff I need and would the intial server configuration be OK if we only had 1 or 2 VDs for testing purposes.

Answer : SBS2008 Standard - RDS - Virtual Desktops

You have two possible solutions, each with its own PROs and CONs.

The easiest, proven way:
- On the second server install Windows Server 2008 (if your app runs on 64-bit I would recommend 2008 R2) and add the RDS Session Host/Terminal Services role. You could potentially add the RDS Web Access/RDS Gateway (TS Web/TS Gateway) so users would connect through HTTPS. This would potentially require a second IP address (external) from your ISP as you are probably using HTTPS already for the SBS 2008 box with OWA, RWW and so on. For this solution your server hardware specs are MORE than enough and should be able to easily handle 10 users, not only 5. If financially it is cheaper to simply buy another 2008 license instead of upgrading SBS to Premium, simply do it. In this case you will also need 2008 TS CALs (usually around $80 per user/device - recommend using per user).

The harder, unproven way.
- This is what is called VDI and probably the solution that is closer to the VD term you used (as you may not seem to know the difference between RDS Session Host and RDS VDI). In this case you would need a server running the Hyper-V role and virtual machines would run Windows XP/Vista/7; users would then connect to these VMs. As you have SBS you could of course simply load 2008 on that server, install Hyper-V, create 5 VMs running the OS you want (7 for example) and then simply make these VMs part of the SBS domain and your users would be able to connect to them using RWW, exactly like they do today connecting to the real physical desktops. Another approach would be to actually install the full RDS VDI solution that differs slightly but in your case I see no benefit whatsoever.
The issue with this approach is simple: scalability. It may (note the *may*) work ok (not fine or fast) for 5 users but guaranteed it will not work for 10 like the first approach would do. Plus you would have 5 instances (VMs) to maintain meaning patching, installing applications, application upgrades, etc (what is eliminated on the first approach as everyone 'shares' a single box, instance - even though they are 'logically' separated). In this approach, VECD licenses are REQUIRED, no matter which OS you decide to use (XP/Vista/7). The server configuration you have for sure will work for 2 users so you can try it. If going 5 users, more memory is for sure required as Hyper-V does NOT overcommit memory like VMWare ESXi does (meaning if you have 5 VMs using 1GB RAM each the server MUST have physically at least 5GB RAM + Whatever the core OS requires). That brings us actually to another option, that would be to run VMWare ESXi on that box (it is free), assuming the hardware is actually compatible. I guess you can download ESXi and give it a spin. In this case you can overcommit memory.
The advantage with this approach is your users would simply use the same RWW and nothing else would be required (like new IP, etc).

Cláudio Rodrigues
Citrix CTP
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us