Question : Windows XP Logon - Logoff loop

Initial problem was that http stopped working after 10 minutes. Ran Spy Catcher and quarantined some items and  uninstalled zone alarm. When I restarted, the system booted up, I put in admin password, it started to log in, showed the desktop, and logged me off just like I had selected to logoff. After research on the web I found what seemed to be the answer in http://www.winxptutor.com/wsaremove.htm

I followed the direction of booting into the recovery console and:
type COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE and hit enter

now type Exit and hit enter

This did not allow me to log in. I also tried copying the userinit.exe file from another XP system over, this did not work either. One post I read said that you have to run regedit.ext and modify the registry before it will allow you to log in. When I checked the registry, the key was in place and with the correct information. Wiping the system and reinstalling clean is not an option. In addtion to WSAUPDATER.exe instructions, Tried doing an XP Repair install, no change. Ran chkdsk /r and repaired a few problems. Was running XP SP1, installed SP2. Still had the login logoff loop, but found that if I left it booted to the login screen, it downloaded and installed all 42 updates/security updates so it seems that things are working except for the minor problem of not being able to login. Along the way created several new administer accounts to test for corrupt user profile. The only error I get in the System event log when booting in normal mode is "The hpdj service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified." Event ID 7000. Source: Service Control Manager.  In desperation I have even openned a ticket with Microsoft's XP team, they have been useless and have mostly concentraited on troubleshooting problems that turn out to be related to being in safemode. Here's your chance to show up the "Experts".  ;-)

Answer : Windows XP Logon - Logoff loop

Closed, 500 points refunded.
Netminder
Site Admin
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us