Question : GPO Settings: Access Denied (Security Filtering) - Screen Saver Issues

Ok I seem to be having a problem accomplishing what I need to do here.

Requirement (1): Create a GPO that will apply the Screen saver timeout/lock function.
Requirement (2): Create a GPO that will disable the Screen saver for certain PCs that are marked critical and must always be up.

I am currently working on requirement 2 as this is the most important part of what I am trying to accomplish. I will list all the specifics below.

The policy I have created is called Disable Screen Saver. I have linked this policy at the top of the Domain structure and have given it a specific security filtering of a security group that contains the PC I am testing with as well as the user name I am using to test with.

This security group has been given the read and apply group policy permissions but I am still getting an Access Denied (Security Filtering). The policy also has User Group Policy loopback processing mode set to enabled/replace.

The policy works fine with Authenticated Users but it does not work with my specific security group.

When running a gpupdate /force and gpresult on the test machine the user configuration portion of the policy is denied with the reason being security filtering. Oddly enough the computer conifguration portion of the policy is applied though.

It appears that any group policy I make without Authenticated Users in the Security Filtering scope has issues and I really need to get to the bottom of why this is the case. Everything I have found online suggest issues with things that need to be set which already are.

Answer : GPO Settings: Access Denied (Security Filtering) - Screen Saver Issues

Move these PCs into their own OU.
Link a new GPO "Loopback" to that OU, in which you enable Loopback processing; set it to "Merge" or "Replace", whatever suits you better (in Computer Configuration\Administrative Templates\System\Group Policy).
Restart the machine.
Create another(!) GPO "Disable Screen Saver" or whatever, linked to that OU. Configure the screen saver as desired; these settings will now override the normal user policies for *every* user logging on to machines in that OU. Use security filtering on the "Disbale Screen Saver" GPO to exclude it for groups who shouldn't have this policy applied.
Loopback processing of Group Policy
support.microsoft.com/kb/231287
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us