Question : Can't access Windows XP shares from Windows 7 after a BIOS reset

Hello all.

Here is what happened.  I have shares on a Windows XP file server with 11 hard drives total in it that I access from a Windows 7 machine.  It's been working fine and I was able to access it's shares from my Windows 7 PC normally until today.  What I did is I turned on the GigaRAID contoller on the XP server motherboard and added a 500GB mirror to the server.  It then wouldn't get past the DMI pool section of bootup.  Resetting the the BIOS fixed that issue.  Then I was able to boot normally, format the new RAID drive and use it.  Then I discovered I was not able to access my shares on the XP server from a Windows 7 PC or even the administrative share.  I keep getting prompted in Windows 7 asking for a user name and password even though I'm entering in the correct user name and password.  

I have three network cards in my Windows XP file server.  Two of the three have netBIOS over TCPIP turned off(Because of errors in the event log).  The other network card has it turned on.  Simple file sharing is turned off on both PC's.  I am able to access my shares from a Windows XP laptop just fine.  I am logged onto both PC's wtih the same user name and password.  I can see the XP fileserver when I click on the 'network' icon on the Windows 7 machine desktop.  Firewalls are all off.  Windows 7 doesn't have a firewall installed but I don't think the firewall matters since I'm getting prompted for a user name and password.

Here is what I've done so far(in no particular order):

1 Uninstalled and reinstalled the network card that has NetBIOS over TCPIP turned on on my XP file server.
2 Created a new share on the XP box for testing.  Couldn't connect to the share from Windows 7.
3 The user on both PC is the administrator on both PCs and it's the same user name.
4 Reimaged the Windows 7 PC with a known working image of Windows 7
5 Removed and readded the user in the security and sharing tab/section of each share.
6 Removed the user and readded the user to the XP and WIndows 7 machine
7 Created a new Windows profile for the user on both machines.
8 added the network card's IP address to the WINS section of the network card on the Windows 7 machine.
9 Tried the command liine netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt on the XP machine and the Windows 7 machine.
10 Acronis CAN access the XP share when I reimaged the Windows 7 machine.

Is seems like the Windows 7 machine remembers what the IO address or the DMI address of the network card and when I reset the BIOS on the XP machine, it changed and now Windows won't allow it or something like that.  I've been a PC tech for a long time and I don't know a way to really reset the network data for a share resource on a WIndows 7 machine if that can even be done.  Any ideas?

Tony

8KNXP Gigabyte Mobo
2.4Ghz 800
ATI All in Wonder 128 Pro
550 Watt power supply
500 Watt Power supply
13 hard drives
Two Promise IDE array cards
On board GigaRAID turned on with one RAID1 mirror
On board SATA RAID card turned on with one RAID1 mirror
Three network cards (one onboard)

Applicatons:

XP Professional SP3
Zone Labs firewall with the Spyware and Anti-virus feature turned off
Symantec 10 Corporate edition

Answer : Can't access Windows XP shares from Windows 7 after a BIOS reset

OMG, this has got to be a joke.... I found the problem.  The date on the XP machine was set for 2005.  I set the PC to the correct time and date and it works.  OMG!  I can't believe it.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us