Question : Problem Upgrading a Child Domain to Windows 2008 R2

Hi... Here is my current setup:

4 DC's in Parent Domain ( domain.com )
  - Qty1 - Win2k8 R2 DC
  - Qty 3 - Win2k3 DC's

2 DC's in Child Domain ( child.domain.com )
   - Qty 2 - Win2k3 DC's

I've recently added a new DC to the parent domain using Windows 2008 R2. Before adding the server, I went through and ran adprep /forestprep, then ran adprep /domainprep, then ran adprep /domainprep /gpprep. The insertion of the Windows 2008 R2 as a DC in the parent domain went fine. It is installed and running well with no issues in ANY of the DC's event logs in the parent domain.

I'm now trying to add a Windows 2008 R2 DC to our Child Domain. I've already run adprep /domainprep and adprep /domainprep /gpprep in the Child Domain and everything went well ( did this on the old Windows 2003 DC's in the child domain  ). I now went and ran DCPROMO on the Windows 2008 R2 server. It started adding the AD roles and installing the AD binaries. Then it stopped saying that "adprep /domainprep" needs to be run. Huh??? I already did that!! So I went back to both DC's ( running Win2k3 ) in the child domain and tried running adprep /domainprep and adprep /domainprep /gpprep again. Both times on both domain controllers it told me that adprep had already been ran and there was nothing for it to do. BTW, just so everyone is clear I'm running the adprep from the Win2k8 disc.

I'm not sure what to do now. I've already preped the the Forest and both Domains. How can I get the the Win2k8R2 server that I have for the child domain to be inserted as a DC??

Answer : Problem Upgrading a Child Domain to Windows 2008 R2

it is odd because adfind shows your schema version at 47 which is R2

I'd try the prep with the 2008 R2 disc (adprep32) in your child

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us