Question : SBS 2008 Sharepoint Search/Gatherer error

I have a SBS 2008 server using Sharepoint 3.0. For some reason, I am getting I am getting the following crawler error and my searches are not retunring any results. I searched the error and got a number of hits on creating search and content accounts. I followed the instructions (3 times) and I am still getting the error. I've done this exact fix two SBS 2008 servers - one worked and the other didn't.

The problem is that the author said that this solution works sometimes but not all. Is there anything else I should be trying or looking for to correct this problem?

Error:
The start address 87/contentdbid={4d3f9065-ee75-4f48-934e-70ecaa0ed4ae}> cannot be crawled.

Context: Application 'Search index file on the search server', Catalog 'Search'

Details:
      Access is denied. Verify that either the Default Content Access Account has access to this repository, or add a crawl rule to crawl this repository. If the repository being crawled is a SharePoint repository, verify that the account you are using has "Full Read" permissions on the SharePoint Web Application being crawled.   (0x80041205)

What I've tried already:
1. On your SBS, open Active Directory Users & Computers (Start > Administrative Tools > Active Directory Users & Computers.
2. Within ADU&C, navigate to the Organizational Unit where you want to create the new user accounts. (Personally, I create a new Service Accounts OU
under > My Business > Users)
3. Right-click on the OU and select New > User
4. On the first page of the new user window, enter the following info:
 First Name: SPSearch
 Last Name:
 Username: spsearch
5. Click Next.
6. Enter a strong password for the new account.
7. Uncheck the option User must change password at next login
8. Check the option User cannot change password
9. Check the option Password never expires
10. Click Next
11. Click Finish.
12. Repeat steps 3-11, using SPContent instead of SPSearch in step 4
We do not have to worry about granting any access or permissions to the two new accounts we created. After the accounts have been created, close Active Directory
Users & Computers, then open SharePoint Central Administration (Start > Administrative Tools > SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration).
1. When SharePoint 3.0 Central Administration opens, go to the Operations tab.
2. Click on the Services on Server link
3. In the Action column, click the link to Stop the Windows SharePoint Services Search service.
 You will receive a warning that stopping the search service will remove existing indices. Click OK to acknowledge the warning.
4. When you return to the SharePoint Central Administration Operations tab, the Windows SharePoint Search Service will show as stopped. Click the link to
Start the Windows SharePoint Services Search service. This will open the Search service configuration page.
5. In the Service Account section, select the Configurable option
1. For a username, enter \SPSearch (where is your AD domain).
2. For a password, enter the strong password you assigned to the SPSearch account.
6. In the Content Access Account section, select the Configurable option
1. For a username, enter \SPContent (where is your AD domain)
2. For a password, enter the strong password you assigned to the SPContent account.
7. In the Search Database section, change the database name by appending and underscore 1 (_1) to the database name.
 By default, the database name should be WSS_Search_[SERVERNAME], so were changing it to WSS_Search_[SERVERNAME]_1.
 Changing the name is necessary because the default database name already exists with search data. If we attempted to use the default database
name, SharePoint would throw an error that the database contains user-defined schema and cannot be used. By changing the search database
name on this configuration page, SharePoint Central Administration will create a new database using this name and configure search to use this new
database. Since the new database is empty, we wont encounter any errors.
8. Accept the remaining defaults and click the OK button.
After clicking OK, the settings should be applied and you should return to the Services on Server page in SharePoint Central Administration, and the Windows
SharePoint Services Search service should be listed as started.
Close SharePoint Central Administration and open the Services MMC (Start > Administrative Tools > Services). Restart the Windows

Answer : SBS 2008 Sharepoint Search/Gatherer error

Ok so then you have WSS 3.0. The groups aren't Domain groups they are local server groups.
Are you running a proxy server? you should disable auto detect proxy settings for your search account either way. You can do that by doing a Run as Domain\CrawlerServiceAccount on Iexplore.exe and then disable automatic detect proxy in internet options.
Finally make sure that loopback is disabled you can read the instructions on how to do it here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/896861

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us