Question : C# SQL Query considerations against a large database

I am querying a database table and performing a calculation in each row returned.  I'd like to put the result of this calculation right back in the same table, but I'm unsure of how to do this properly.  The table is very large - 100,000 - 1,000,000 rows - so I can't bring the table local, it must stay on the server.  Here is what I'm currently doing:

OleDbConnection accessConnect = new OleDbConnection()
{
   try
   {
      accessConnect.Open();//Open the data connection

OleDbDataReader tableReader = (new OleDbCommand(sqlQuery, accessConnect)).ExecuteReader();

while (tableReader.Read())//true if there are more rows; otherwise, false
     {
        alpha = Convert.ToDouble(tableReader.GetValue(0));
        beta = Convert.ToDouble(tableReader.GetValue(1));

distribution = CalcUtility.BetaCumulativeDistribution(alpha, beta);
      }

I need to use the "distribution" value in another query against the same database, so I'm thinking the best way to do this would be to add a "DISTRUBUTION" column to the table I'm querying and adding the "distribution" value.  Would I add this data as soon as it is calculated, i.e.

SqlConnection custConn = new SqlConnection(...);
custConn.Open();
SqlCommand sqlCmd = new SqlCommand();
SqlUpdateCommand1.Connection = custConn;
SqlUpdateCommand1.CommandText="ALTER TABLE table ADD COLUMN DISTRIBUTION Double;
SqlUpdateCommand1.ExecuteNonQuery();

using (OleDbConnection accessConnect = new OleDbConnection())
{
   try
   {
      accessConnect.Open();//Open the data connection

OleDbDataReader tableReader = (new OleDbCommand(sqlQuery, accessConnect)).ExecuteReader();

while (tableReader.Read())//true if there are more rows; otherwise, false
     {
        alpha = Convert.ToDouble(tableReader.GetValue(0));
        beta = Convert.ToDouble(tableReader.GetValue(1));

distribution = CalcUtility.BetaCumulativeDistribution(alpha, beta);

SqlUpdateCommand1.CommandText="UPDATE table SET DISTRIBUTION =" + distribution.ToString() + "' WHERE stuff;"
         SqlUpdateCommand1.ExecuteNonQuery();
      }

These seems pretty clunky, but I think it would work.  I think the best method would be to create a dataset based on the query, calculate, add, and fill the column, and then update the server database with the dataset.  The problem is that there is too much data, so filling a local dataset isn't an option.  Is there a way I could add the "distribution" column in bulk, once all distrubution values are calculated?

Thanks in advance for the help!!

Answer : C# SQL Query considerations against a large database

>SQL will execute a string of 1000 queries at once?
yes.

> There is no way to use the current position of the TableReader object to update the particular row it is currently refering to, is there?
there is, but that will either do what you are currently doing (update each single line) or trying to avoid (ie read the entire data set at once...)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us