Question : WordPerfect 10 hangs when opening some documents.

Wordperfect 10 hangs when opening documents.

I am having problems with WordPerfect crashing when opeing certain documents.
The system is:
Home built PC with
Windows XP (SP2 and all updates)
WordPerfect 10 (no updates installed yet)

Wordperfect hangs when the client does the following:
Opens a "legal" document in MS Word, next the document is saved in plain text, finally the plain text version is opened in WordPerfect.  I have specified that it is a legal document becuse these documents have a lot of special charcters etc. I don't know if that is adding to the problem.

As per this post
http://www.experts-exchange.com/Software/Office_Productivity/Office_Suites/WordPerfect_Office_Suite/Q_21266361.html?sfQueryTermInfo=1+%22wordperfect+10%22
I will be updating Wordperfect but since I am a consultant for this lawyer, I only get to see this system when doing rounds; therefore I will not be able to test anything until next tuesday evening (3/20/07).  I want to make sure that I have all necessary information to fix this before I go on location.

Some other informaiton that might help is:
I recieve a app hang in the event viewer, immediately after that log the system logs something called a "Fault Bucket".
Two or three days before this chronic problem began many apps on this system hung.  In the list was MS Word, Wordperfect, Spybot and Nav.  I don't think this is part of the problem since all of these apps are working ok now!

Please do not send me alot of links describing methods of converting docs from Word to Wordperfect, I am only the consultant.  The client wants to do it this way!

Thank you in advance, I will reply promptly after I see the computer again on the 20th.
--wTinnel

Answer : WordPerfect 10 hangs when opening some documents.

Careful how you look at the "plain text" file - an obscure Unicode character can look like a normal ASCII character for instance.  Good ol' DOS Edit will show up anything like that, but best not to edit the document using it as Carriage Returns and Line Feeds are not shown properly.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us