Question : Is Access a bit of a pig?

Hello experts, my last question posted advised that I need to compact and repair, export everything, start a clean database, reimport everything again.  I'm OK with doing this, but after reading more questions and being advised that it's easy to corrupt a database in Access, is this a future I am setting myself up for?
So 20 years ago I wrote software for 4 years commercially after completing a two year full time course.  I'm using Access at my work now and have started to delve into VBA. I'm enjoying it and think Experts Exchange is fantastic.  Even though I'm learning Access coding from books, online help and you wonderful people, as I already have a good grounding in writing code, should I look at another option?  I have no intention of writing code beyond my own two employee retail business.  Multi user stuff will never be relevant, though my database is currently 150meg and I'm about to start adding images.  I'm happy to dump everything I've learnt about access now if in the long term that is the better option.  I like the forms, reports and queries of access though I assume they are now common in all DB applications.  
I eagerly await your opinions

Answer : Is Access a bit of a pig?

Access' big advantages:
  • It's nearly ubiquitous 
  • It doesn't cost much 
  • You can easily package the application with the DB 
  • Speed of development

Big disadvantages:
  • Multi-user situations 
  • Ease of corruption 
  • And ... sometimes packaging the application w/ the DB actually trips you up.  Like when you have to roll out a code change to existing customers ... 
I like Access for applications that are relatively small & simple and have few users.

For anything approaching Enterprise-grade, I would write either a Windows application and tie it to an MS SQL Server (possibly Express) DB, or write a web application tied to either MS SQL Server or MySQL.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us