Question : Windows Explorer Sort Order persistently reversed

Hi Experts
I have been working on a problem computer running Win98 1st Edition + IE6 SP1. I can give details of other installed software if it is thought to be an issue.  It's a single user profile system.

I've gone through every conceivable way from within Windows of trying to enforce the normal Windows Explorer sort order of folders at the top and all names arranged alphabetically 0-9 then a-z downwards, but it keeps reversing the sort order to folders at bottom and z-a then 9-0.

This affects all Explorer based dialogs eg. Find, Save As, etc. and returns within the same Windows session almost immediately.  The Start Menu sort order is NOT affected.

I haven't done anything in the Registry simply because I've forgotten which keys and values store the Windows Explorer sort order on a per-user basis and globally (if applicable).  Could someone please refresh my memory of which keys and/or values to delete to get rid of any persistently retained settings.  From recollection there are a lot of binary or Dword values named "ViewView2" or similar.

I don't have the computer in my physical possession right now, but will be looking at it again in the next couple of days.

Thanks
Bill

Answer : Windows Explorer Sort Order persistently reversed

And found this:

Open Windows Explorer and then click the C: drive in the left pane.
Next click 'View' from the Toolbar and then click 'Details' in the menu.
Next in the right pane, click the 'Name' tab at the top of the name listings.
This will arrange the list by 'Name'.
Try this several times to be sure the order listing reverses.
When you have the order list set A-Z, hold the 'CTRL' key and click the 'X' in the upper right corner of Explorer to close it.
Now release the 'CTRL' key and reboot your system.
Be very sure to hold the 'CTRL' key down until explorer has closed!

Haven't tested it but several positive replies followed.

Zee
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us