Question : VB Data Entry Application without Microsoft Access

I need to build an application for QAQC and Data Entry.  We have field crews that download information to gps devices and export that data to access tables.  I would like to build a vb application that could import that access table and edit it using a form.  I currently have a very complex access application that does the job, but we would like to share with clients without asking to install ms access and with a more professional (unique) look.  I have visual studio 2008 and am sure that this should be possible, I just need some guidance as to how and where to get started.

Answer : VB Data Entry Application without Microsoft Access

Well, from your "I know this should be possible" statement above, I thought "this" meant a migration and not a rewrite from scratch.

What you need is to create a data-access tier using ADO.Net to Access. There are entire books written on this subject so I am not so sure how to advise here, but I think I can point you in the right direction with respect to free web sites that discuss this matter.

I would prototype your GUI using VB.Net and then wire-up your tables/queries using ADO.Net. I have attached a code sample that includes a connection string and the code required to pull data using a SQL query into a dataset table (see attached).

A good starting point for you is here:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/showtopic33908.htm

I hope this helps. My intentions are to get you started on the right track, as you requested.

Regards,
Jon500
1:
2:
3:
4:
5:
6:
7:
8:
9:
10:
Dim ConnString As String = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=C:\pathinfo\yourdb.mdb"
Dim SQLString As String = "SELECT * FROM YourAccessTable"
Dim OleDBConn1 As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection = 
   New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbConnection(ConnString)
Dim DataSet1 As New DataSet()
Dim OleDbDataAdapter1 As System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter = 
   New System.Data.OleDb.OleDbDataAdapter(SQLString, OleDBConn1)
OleDBConn1.Open()
OleDbDataAdapter1.Fill(DataSet1, "DataSetTableName")
DataGridView1.DataSource = DataSet1.Tables("DataSetTableName")
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us