Question : Windows XP drops network connection freezes because of offline files

Here's the setup.
I have a few machines running Windows XP on an active directory network. I have 2 servers, one for apps, one mainly for files and printers. both servers are Win2K all updates done regularly.

Most of my workstations are running on Win2K and those do not have the problem, only the XPs are doing this. all my XP workstations are PRO and all updates are done as well. Now every now and again, for some users it happens 4 or 5 times a day or even more. For some reason, their network connection gets dropped. all the mapped drives show with a little "x" on them and a pop-up appears to tell then they are no longer connected to the network. If you open explorer and double-click a mapped drive, it opens right up. But for some users, mainly those with laptops using offline folders applications such as Word or excel will freeze up. Then the  entire system freezes up, they get a blue page and they have to reboot. I've configured offline files to "never disconnect from the network", and I also tried to set it to "go immediatly offline" but it doesn't change anything.

Those are brand new IBM computers so I do not believe it is a hardware issue but I'd like to resolve this ASAP.

ideas?
questions?
I'm all ears...

Answer : Windows XP drops network connection freezes because of offline files

try this
"It was autodisconnect registry setting. The default is to disconnect after being idle for 15 minutes.

I used the command net config server /autodisconnect:-1 which disables autodisconnect and that stopped the remote users from loosing their Mapped Drive."
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us