Question : Cannot start the source application for the object

I have a word 2007 document that has an embedded spreadsheet. The spreadsheet was embedded when it was a 2003 word document but the documents has since been converted. Now the spreadsheet cannot be edited. When you double-click on the embedded spreadsheet, there are a series of errors that come up:

"The server application, source file, or item cannot be found. Make sure that application is properly install, and that it has not been deleted, moved, renamed, or bloacked by policy"

"Cannot start the source application for this object."

Attached are the error boxes.

Answer : Cannot start the source application for the object

I have since found a solution:

We run a program called Caseware that has an Excel plugin called Connector. When we upgraded, a new Connector file was added as a add-in however, even though we did a removal of the old connector from add or remove programs, the old one remained so there were 2 add-ins. The old one is invalid at this point and was the source of additional problems (slow performance, multiple files names in the title bar, inability to edit embedded tables, etc.) Once the add-in was disabled (it was a .xll Excel add-in), all these issues were resolved.

@mizty - if you are expriencing the same problem, check your add-ins. Disable them all. If this fixes the problem, reintroduce each one until the problem resurfaces. Then you will not your culprit.

@JOrzech - Thanks for your attempt at helping me.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us