Question : Need help with SQL 2008 running on a 2008 failover cluster

Hello,
We are in the process of deploying Server 2008 along with SQL 008 and Windows storage server 08. I have setup a Win server 2008 fail over cluster and although I can get the SQL app to failover I am unable to get the SQL Data to fail over to the other volume.

Here’s how the network is configured. This is all a test environment.

One physical HP DL 380 running Win Server 2008 R2 (hardware really doesn’t matter for this discussion but is more than adequate). This server is running Hyper V with 4 virtual servers, and iSCSI initiator.
Here are the virtual servers:

SQL-1      Win 2008 Enterprise 08 with SQL server enterprise 08 with fail over cluster service running and iSCSI initiator.

SQL-2      Win 2008 Enterprise 08 with SQL server enterprise 08 with fail over cluster service running and iSCSI initiator.

Storage-1 Win 2008 Storage Server with 3 iSCSI target volumes 14.5 GB each.

Storage-2 Win 2008 Storage Server with 3 iSCSI target volumes 14.5 GB each.

The failover cluster is running fine and as I said the App, SQL server 08, fails over from SQL-1 to SQL2 with no issue. This test is done by simply shutting down SQL-1 or 2. We use a client server app that connects to the SQL Database. If I shut down of the two servers SQL you can still connect through the client to the database.

As I said earlier there are 3 volumes on each storage server. I setup SQL to use one volume each from each server and that is shown in the fail over cluster. So if I shut down one The storage server with the SQL instance on it the data doesn’t not failover and SQL is down. I can look on one volume and see my SQL instance but there is no data on the other storage volume.

So the question is what am I missing to get the DATA to fail over from one storage server to the next?

Hope I explained that well if not let me know and thanks in advance.

Answer : Need help with SQL 2008 running on a 2008 failover cluster

With failover iSCSI Target on Windows Storage Server? No. I never did it.
On single iSCSI Target - yes, many times.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us