Question : re: Hosting website with IIS 6

Hi - I am trying to host a website for my small business and am having extreme difficulty. Any instructions would be appreciated.

Here is our current system topology:

We have a Comcast business class web account that provides us with 5 static IP addresses.

Our office network is controlled by a Windows 2003 Small Business Server. It acts as our DNS and DHCP server. It is assigned one of the 5 static IP addresses from Comcast. A cable from the modem/router is connected to the first LAN port. A 24 port switch is connected to the 2nd LAN port. This switch connects all the devices in the office, and the server manages them.

Connected to this server via the switch is multiple computers, printers, etc. and an additional server. This server is running Windows Server 2003 Standard, and its primary function is to be our web server. I would like to put our web files on this server and use this sever as our web server. This sever is assigned a local IP address from the SBS server.

We have a domain name purchased and secured from GoDaddy.

Now the fun part: What do I have to do, step by step, to have http://www.ourcompanysite.com (for example) access the web server and launch the site?

If any more information is needed I will be happy to oblige.

Thank you greatly.

Answer : re: Hosting website with IIS 6

You missed one important part of Tray896's comment

"That would be done on the networking side, not the web server side."

You need to configure your firewall to forward requests on port 80 for your external IP address over to the internal IP address of your web server.

Also, creating a www record on your DNS server is only for your network. You need to get with your registrar or whomever holds the records for your external DNS and create the www entry there so that everyone can resolve it.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us