Question : Deploy Printers to Vista without Server 2008 or Server 2003 R2

We just had a client that upgraded most of their workstations to Vista Business. They need to deploy network printers to user groups. They used a vbs login script previously on the Windows XP machines. The script works fine and dandy on Vista but you have to have admin rights to install the printer driver. Can anyone throw out an idea as to how to deploy network printers to regular Vista users? I do not have the deploy printers function in Server 2003 servers as they are not R2 version.

Answer : Deploy Printers to Vista without Server 2008 or Server 2003 R2

Ok so I figured out a solution:

Problem:
All Windows Server 2003 domain controllers (non R2 version) and all Vista computers. I previously deployed network printers through a VBS script. Now since we changed to Vista, it prompts for credentials when the script runs. Without the R2 version of Server 2003, I do not have the deploy printers function.

Solution:
Setup central repository for Vista Group Policies on the 2003 server. Configured the Vista group policy under User Configuration>Policies>Administrative Templates>Control Panel>Printers that is called Point and Print Restrictions. I enabled it, then cleared the two checkboxes to use specific print servers and using on specific machines. Under the installing and updating drivers section, I selected Do not show warning or elevation prompt. I then tested the script on several Vista machines after a gpupdate /force and all printers installed successfully without admin rights.
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us