Question : ESXi 4.0 iSCSI Boot Problem

I am having an issue with my ESXi setup, and I can not figure it out.  Currently running Ubuntu 9 Server Edition for iSCSI server, storage for the iSCSI target is on a 1TB Western Digital USB Drive.  The machine running Ubuntu has no problems seeing the drive at all during my issue.  The issue comes when I reboot the ESXi machine, like a total power down, start up, or restart cycle.  The iSCSI machine is on, drive connected, working, and accessable.  The ESXi machine starts up, and then I have auto start on a windows vm set up, but the windows vm cant start, because one of its drives is stored on the iSCSI target, but the ESXi server hasnt re-established the connection yet.  I have to manually go in and tell the ESXi server to rescan the iSCSI target.  It will then find the target and allow the windows machine to boot.  Can anyone help with this?

Thanks in advance.

Answer : ESXi 4.0 iSCSI Boot Problem

The obvious thing that I have to point out is your likeley to have problems when you use iSCSI storage that is not on the VMWare HCL.

In my experience non H/W based iSCSI targets can often cause issues like these. The only thing I can suggest is some indepth investigations into the VMware logs. However you might spend alot of time with no reward.

Have you considered a Storage vApp Like

http://www.vmware.com/appliances/directory/115183
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us