Question : how do I reopen a closed company that was accidently closed in Microsoft Great Plains 10

One of my coworkers acciednetly closed the year she was working on (she closed out 2008 thinking she should be in 2009). Is there a way to undo it? We keep complete backups of the drive but I do not know which file to restore from the back up. I do not believe we have a GP backup since I can not find one where it should be but dont know for sure.

Answer : how do I reopen a closed company that was accidently closed in Microsoft Great Plains 10

Hi,

If the year was truly closed, there is no way to "undo" the operation in the company.

Accidental closes, or problems during a close, are typically handled by restoring the company database from a backup made immediately before the close process.

An alternative is to send the database to MBS Professional Services and have them undo the close operation.

If you don't have backups (you will want to triple check the drive for any .bak files), but have a copy of the drive, you *may* be able to recover by restoring your MDF and LDF files for the company (assuming they were backed up properly using shadow copy) and "attaching" them to your SQL server instance.  There are many possible complications in Dynamics GP with such an approach (for instance, if you use Analytical accounting, you may run into errors).

I would strongly recommend performing a full backup of your Dynamics DB and all company DBs first.  Then, Detach the company DB that had the year closed.  Then rename the MDF and LDF files for that DB.  Then restore the MDF and LDF from backup and attempt to attach the files to the SQL instance.

Many possible complications to this approach, but you can try it and see if it works.

Last suggestion:  Absolutely, positively, make sure that you have proper nightly backups of all of your GP databases, both on a server drive and a backup / off site storage device!!!

Thanks,

Steve Endow
Dynamics GP Certified Trainer
Dynamics GP Certified Professional

Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us