Question : Domain controller for Group Policy operations is not available. and a couple other things.

Here is the scoop. We are retiring a domain controller and adding a new one. I added the new server and turned it into a domain controller. moved over DNS and DHCP, as well as Print server, and Live communications 2k3.

I thought all was going well. but I must not have moved some service over or screwed up something cause now when I right click on the domain in ADUC  and go to properties then group policy I get " the domain controller for the group policy operations is not available. you may cancel this operation for this session or retry using one of the following domain controller choices. (1) the one with the operations master token for the pdc emulator (2) the one userd by the active directory snap-ins (3) use any available domain controller." ok option 2 and 3 will let me see the group policy's option 1 says failed to find a domain controller. Details of the error says the specified domain either does not exist or could not be contacted.

when this started I believe Live communication went down. I uninstalled it and then tried to install it again but once I click install I get the error. " error checking the membership of the current user in DomainAdmins group. Please check the domain is accessible.  Again I am getting these errors on a domain controller, the old domain controller is still up as a DC but with really nothing on it. HELP!

Answer : Domain controller for Group Policy operations is not available. and a couple other things.

Sounds like something has happened with your PDC Emulator.  Take a look at this link http://www.adminprep.com/articles/default.asp?action=show&articleid=80.  You will find a demo on the second page that shows you what you need to do to get that PDC role on your new DC.  You may have to Seize the role.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Brian
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us