Question : SP2 Install for SCCM

I upgraded our SCCM to SP2 and cannot install the client on my systems.  We use third part tools that give us extra options within the SCCM console, so we can right click on a machine in SCCM and install the client.  (it uses remote command prompt and runs the install on the machine).  If I use this I get a certificate error, when I look up the error it seems that the new client hasn't been applied or published.  We were using a WSUS server as a software update point but we had to rebuild it because WSUS stopped working, we assumed it was due to SCCM taking control of the server.  So as of now we don't have a software update point, which we thought would be ok because we were use WSUS to patch our machines not SCCM.  Any thoughts on how to proceed?  I wouldn't mind installing WSUS on our SCCM server but I am afraid to do so because I do not want mess up SCCM.

Answer : SP2 Install for SCCM

If it's one of the 'right click' tools I know that you are using to do the client install, it copies ccmsetup from a directory on computer running the SCCM console, copies it to the client machine an executes it remotely using PSEXEC.  If this is the case, then you will probably need to update the CCMSETUP.EXE file used by the tools to be the SP2 version.

As for your Software Update Point issue, installing WSUS on the SCCM server (but not configuring it) is the right approach, as a Software Update Point utilises WSUS to perform synchronisation.

The steps are quite simple.

Start the WSUS 3.0 SP2 install (needs to be SP2 for Windows 7 and 2008 R2 support)
Choose to install WSUS to a custom website (ports 8530 and 8531), this stops WSUS from conflicting with configuration manager
When the install is complete, do not configure WSUS (just cancel out)
Install the Software Update Point on the SCCM server (and specify the ports 8530 and 8531)
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us