Question : Boot.ini

Hello,

I have a major problem. I've got SBS 2003 R2 installed on a server with RAID on 6 hard disks. I tried to see if i could upgrade to standard windows 2003 Server by trying to install from the CD which we just got, but it didn't work and further research has shown that i can't do it this way. My problem is, the installation attampt created a dual boot one for SBS on the array and one for Windows 2003 server. I though since i don't need that I'll take it out of the boot.ini file (which i did while logged into SBS, but everytime i rebooted it still came up with the dual boot, and the 2003 Server just tried to run the setup, like from CD, and then says it can't continue and press F3, so i decided to boot into SBS and set SBS at the top of the boot order and take the timeout off.

after i did this i can no more boot to SBS, just the the setup of Windows 2003. I've tried using a 98boot disk to edit the boot.ini file (c: - then attrib -r -h -s boot.ini etc) but that says it can't find the file.

What can i do to boot bak to SBS?

THIS IS VERY URGENT AS I'M AT THE CLIENT SITE IN HOLLAND ONLY THIS WEEKEND.

Thanks
Malcolm

Answer : Boot.ini

Hi!

Boot in to Recovery console, press F6 to add RAID drivers and then run "bootcfg /rebuild". It will scan all disks for Windows installations and add them to boot.ini.
More info about bootcfg: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

HTH

Toni
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us