Question : Append Query in Access 2007...

Just tried to run an append query in Access 2007 and found a flaw in the process.  Don't know if it was me, or Access 2007.  Here is what I did, and the results:

Added the data fields (to be appended) to the query design.
Changed the query type to "Append".
Selected the Table to Append the new records to.
Then tried to run the query and got an insert error saying the field I was trying to insert to was not valid.  So I looked at the "Append To" row for each data item to see what could be the problem.  When the "append to" name had spaces, the append to name was shown in brackets.  For instance, field "Last Name" was shown as "[Last Name]".  Yet the insert error said "[Last Name]" was an invalid field to insert to.  It was only when I removed the brackets that I was able to append the new records.  I don't remember having that problem before in Access.  Anyone have a good answer?  Thanks.  - Tom

Answer : Append Query in Access 2007...

Yes I would reckon it was a bug, I have just tried it and it automatically put [Last Name] as the append to.

HOWEVER, do not use spaces in field names, follow a naming convention and capitalise significant characters (LastName) but do not use spaces as it causes more work later.

You could raise this with Microsoft on their website but I would just live with it.

Cheers, Andrew
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us