Question : Vista Offline files 'On Slow Networks Automatically work offline' greyed out

I want to prevent Offline Files from switching to Online  when a remote user connects to the LAN via VPN. It is currently doing this, causing the system to run very slowly.

The Offline Files settings has a 'Network' tab, on which there is a checkbox entitled

"On slow connections, automatically work offline"

but it is greyed out,. I thought it might be a UAC issue, but there seems no way to start the Offline Files applet with elevated permissions. Can anyone tell me why I cannot make the setting?

Answer : Vista Offline files 'On Slow Networks Automatically work offline' greyed out

I assume the computer is part of a domain? If so it would be grayed out due to a group Policy. Finding which admin created policy contains the restriction may be a little time consuming. The first step would be to run GPresult on the PC to see what policies are being applied. Then review these policies, using the Group Policy Management Console on the server, to see which is using the policies in the following group to create the restriction:
Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | Network | Offline Files

You may want to control the actual definition of a "slow connection" by using the following policy
Computer Configuration | Administrative Templates | System | Group Policy | Group Policy slow link detection
Random Solutions  

programming4us programming4us